Monday, February 13, 2012

Whitney Elizabeth Houston 1963-2012

Good Afternoon to everyone who may be still as shocked and hurt by the death of the icon Whitney Elizabeth Houston.  I am one of the biggest skeptics you may ever encounter so when my husband's friend called him telling him that Whitney Houston was dead, I was like 'yeah, ok'.  But not even two seconds later, I get a email from my NY Times online subscription saying 'Whitney Houston Dead, at 48'.  I couldn't catch my breath at first then I had decided that it was a death hoax and that she was going to release a statement saying "I'm not dead, yet."  What made it real for me was when I saw a picture of a very distraught Bobbi Kristina.

It is that young lady that I feel for right now.  In the press' eagerness to put SOMETHING out there, they have just about put ANYTHING out there.  They have reported that Ray J was with her when she died and was the one who discovered the body.  They have said implied that she was using drugs again and that was a possible cause of death.  I was listening to the radio this morning where they had on a young 'journalist' (and I use the word loosely) who recalled Whitney Houston's last interview.  She mentioned how Ms. Houston was at the interview with her hair wet and 'not dressed' like the way you would think an icon should look, 'especially since you're already so criticized'.  Not once did she mention that Whitney Houston was with her daughter, Bobbie Kristina, at the pool and that could be an explanation for her wet hair.  Nor did anyone ever think that because you are an icon, doesn't mean that you have to WANT or try to be perfect at all times.  By the way, Whitney Houston was planning a surprise party for Brandy for that night which probably had something to do with the note that the viral feed showed Whitney passing to Brandy.

My point is that the autopsy has not come out as of yet and for people to continually put the negative out there is bad journalism and is very hurtful to Bobbi Kristina.  She is a young woman who has just lost her best friend and her mother all in one.  It hurts my heart to know that she has to go through such an emotional period of time WITH ALL EYES ON HER and most of the people who are leering have nothing nice to say about her mother.  I'm shedding tears for her because it's never easy to lose anyone you love but a parent, a friend, a mentor...

Even if she was on crack, prescription drugs, or just high off life, a real journalist knows that you are to report the facts of what is happening without your opinion of what it looks like to you.  "It's not right, but it's ok..." - Whitney Houston

Whitney Houston was as much an inspiration for me as she was for other singers: professional like Christina Aguilera and Beyone and the shower singers like me.  I remember winning my first talent contest singing my rendition of The Greatest Love of All.  I was motivated to try my hand at singing again when I heard her sing the Star Spangled Banner.

I shed tears for who she was.
For how her entrance started a buzz.
I shed tears for what she went through.
Even though you were glad she wasn't you still wished she was you.
I shed tears for what she wanted to do.
Everyday she showed she loved Bobbi Kristina and, with Sparkle, she showed she loved us too.

Rest in Peace Whitney Elizabeth Houston.  I hope you find with God the serenity you could not find with his creatures here on Earth.

August 9, 1963- February 11, 2012
I shed tears for all those she left here to morn her star brighting the heavens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment