Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fashion Since...?

I read an article on the web about a French Elle magazine blog that has me more than a little ruffled.  The article is about French Elle's blogger, Nathalie Dolivo, blog on the 'black fashion renaissance'.  She says that the First couple has inspired black people to get style sense.  It stated that before Michelle and Barack Obama inspired black Americans to become chic we had something that could be defined as 'streetwear codes'.  What the hell is streetwear?  When you go on the street I would hope you had something to wear.  But you know what streetwear is... the stereotypical saggy jeans, big bamboo earrings and general 'I don't give a sh*t what you think of me' clothing.  I don't know about you but I have never let my pants hang purposely below my ass nor do I own a pair of bamboo earrings.  To make it worse, she then goes on to say the the First lady, Mrs. Michelle Obama has 'helped blacks adopt a white code' of dress and that her wardrope is reminiscent of 'Jackie O. in a jazzy way'.  What is a 'jazzy way'? you may ask.  Jazzy is described by Ms. Dolivo to include shells, African robes, and other ethnic articles ie. bamboo earrings.  I must have missed a few of Mrs. Obama's appearances because I've never seen this 'jazzy way'.

I'm disappointed with Ms. Dolivo and her interpretation on black fashion over the years, but I'm mad as hell at our young black people for even putting that impression out there.  I went past a high school as the kids were getting out and I caught a glimpse of the bamboo earrings, baggy jeans wear.  I have never know a person to get a job dressed that way and they never will if they do not evolve.  But I have seen pictures of my younger styles.  We all wish we can burn some of those pictures like we did the clothes. 

My point is as a child we think as a child and are forever changing and reinventing ourselves, our mindsets, and yes... our fashion sense.  I can honestly say that most African American ADULTS have long evolved from the baggy jeans and bamboo earrings to the belt around the waist and diamond studs without adopting 'black geoisie'.  For those who are probably trying to Google this phrase to figure out what this is... Ms. Dolivo coined this phrase to describe the blacks who have adopted 'white codes' while maintaining their blackness.  (Fist in the air.  REALLY?)  So please all future journalist, be aware of what you are writing and what stereotypes you may be embracing because the wrong thing said can give you so much pain later.

Thank you Mommy for teaching me that my first impression may be the last one I get so be sure of the impression I want to give before I open the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment